Automate setup of sites

Hi,

Is there a simple way to automate the setup of a Site consisting of multiple apps and repositories efficiently? An example:

I have an Enonic server containing multiple sites, multiple repositories and multiple Apps, both third party Apps and self developed Apps. There is a many to many relationship between the Apps, repos and Sites. If I want to set up a local development version of the Site or migrate it to a different server, I must (to my knowledge at least):

• Identify all Apps the Site is dependent on and install them.
  • Identify all the repositories the Site is dependent on, export nodes and import them to the proper repo locally.

This is a time consuming process which is easy to mess up.

Iā€™m not sure exactly how this could look like in practice, but if this could be achieved I think companies using Enonic on a large scale could save a lot of time, especially if they have many sites in multiple Enonic environments (Test, QA, etc.)

I hope my inquiry is clear. Keep up the good work!

Regards
Harald

1 Like

Hi Harald.

Did you try using dump and load? This will migrate an entire XP instance from one environment to another.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Yes, but this is not ideal for a large instance when I only need one out of many sites and repos.

Hi. Then, the recommended approach is using the API. There is a project API for creating new projects, and a content and import API that can help you with the rest.

Have a look at how we create projects and import content in this app for instance: Superhero Blog - Enonic Market