Content studio - Permissions preventing tree node expansion in move modal

If a user has full access only to a specific child folder(s) but not the root folder, then anytime the user wants to move an item via the move modal it’s not possible to expand the root tree node in the combobox. It’s completely greyed out and unclickable.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I think the user should be able to expand the tree nodes, at least those that contain child items for which the user has full access. Or the tree node in the combobox should start at the folder(s) for which the user has full access.

Or is this all possible already and am I just overlooking some settings?

Makes sense. User should be able to reach the items he has access to which is not possible with tree navigation in this dialog.

The main challenge with doing what you suggest is that by allowing a user with limited permissions to expand the entire tree we’ll reveal the entire content structure which could be what the admin tried to avoid by limiting permissions in the first place.

This should be possible to solve by introducing an icon for switching from the tree mode to flat list, which will only display the items user has access to. We have that in Content selectors.

This is definitely not a bug, so I’ll move this to a feature request. We’ll discuss a solution and get back to you.

I assume you can still use the search field to find a target content to move to, so this is not a full showstopper for you?

I understand. The user has permission to read the entire tree though, so in content studio all the nodes are expandable, but only a subset of nodes are editable.

I thought perhaps the node tree inside the move modal should have been working in a similar manner, so I wasn’t sure if it was a bug or not. In any case, yes, we can still use the search field to find target nodes to move to, so it’s not a showstopper. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Oh, if user has read access to the nodes but they are not expandable then it’s a bug. It should not be possible to select such a node if you don’t have write permissions, but it should still be possible to expand. We’ll verify this and register a bug.

Here’s a bug we registered: https://github.com/enonic/app-contentstudio/issues/4910. Will be fixed in the next release.

1 Like