Developer Experience and XP

How can it be that I am unable to debug my backend code? This is an extreme time-thief when you add up all the log statements and redeploys needed to fix certain issues.

1 Like

We can feel your pain and frustration, we are in the same boat here. I don’t believe there are any stable debugging tools that can be used with Nashorn/JDK11, at least we haven’t found any. Luckily, we are working with GraalJS implementation (coming in XP8) which will have debugging possibilities out of the box.

On a side note, you don’t need to redeploy changes in your backend code - just run XP in dev mode and your changes will be hot-redeployed.

3 Likes

On a side note, you don’t need to redeploy changes in your backend code - just run XP in dev mode and your changes will be hot-redeployed.

yeah, I always use dev mode when developing. But, dev mode proves to be very unstable when using docker. It sometimes just stops working. I can not see any pattern to it, happens on both windows and macOS.

I recommend using standard SDK with the CLI → no Docker needed.

1 Like

Yeah, we usually resort to using the sandboxes/CLI when docker fails. But some projects use several other server components, and we always define these as docker images. Its a bit cumbersome to use cli for enonic and docker for everything else. Providing developers with a nice docker-compose with everything needed is extremely handy for onboarding. Also: docker is starting to become somewhat of an industry standard for virtualizing the development stack.