Last week at Enonic - 2018, week 14

Last Week

I hope everyone enjoyed a long Easter break! Last Week was skipped last week, but we’re back today with a summary of the last two weeks.

Did everyone catch the major releases we did around licensing three weeks ago? Well, I’ll just mention it again, just in case you missed it. We basically added a licensing mechanism to XP and our Market, opening up for future possibilities for us to differentiate our open source version of XP to our enterprise version. Not only that, it also opens up for other vendors and developers to license their own apps and libs (or parts of them). Like with our Live Trace app, one can let anyone install and use the app with limited features, but lock key-functions to be used by licensed customers only.

Tomorrow’s PWA Workshop will be held at our offices. There’s still a few spots left, be sure not to miss this. It’ll only take 3 hours of your day and is the perfect way to get started with PWA.

I can also give away a secret, Enonic will soon be advertising for yet another fullstack JavaScript-developer to join our team of consultants (XP experts). Perhaps now is a time to reach into your network and find that highly skilled friend you have that is looking for a new and exciting job. Just contact me directly for details!

For the list of Market-releases I would like to highlight the brand new additon Render JS (even though its version has reached 1.21.0 it’s new to the Market). Render JS let’s you generate HTML and CSS directly from your controllers by building a DOM structure in JavaScript. It even let’s you programatically manipulate the DOM you created before rendering it, giving you frontend-like DOM-features on the backend. With this you might not always need Thymeleaf.

Stay in touch here in our forums and on our open Slack channels.

Enonic Releases

Maybe you read about 6.14.2 earlier, it fixes some minor issues. We’ve decided to keep that as a beta and not release it as a version of its own but rather merge all fixes into 6.15 and focus on that instead. You can grab the Beta-build from our repo.

Keep reporting bugs here in the forum and on our Github page for XP.

Enonic Market

Enonic Market had these updates last week:

Render JS 1.21.0 - RenderJS is a brand new addition to our Market, developed by one of our employees. It let’s you generate HTML and CSS directly from your controllers, meaning you won’t always need Thymeleaf.

Auth0 ID Provider 2.0.2 - Bug: Handle invalid/obsolete states.

Data Toolbox 2.2.0 - Introduce progress bars for heavy actions.

Office League 1.5.3 - Fixes + allow to continue to play an unfinished game when going out of the page.

Further reading

Here’s some interesting articles that surfaced last week, related to Web Development in general.

Cloudflare launches 1.1.1.1 DNS service that will speed up your internet - Cloudfare launches 1.1.1.1 to speed up the dated way DNS works. Since all traffic on the web starts with a DNS-lookup, speeding that up can have significant impact on the speed of the web.

Transitioning Google URL Shortener to Firebase Dynamic Links - Google’s URL shortener goo.gl is saying goodnight, forever. This is an article about how you can migrate those links into Firebase Dynamic Links instead.

ES modules: A cartoon deep-dive - A cartoonish approach to learning ES modules - the new module-system in JavaScript.

Redesigning Reddit - Reddit, that calls itself “front page of the internet” is finishing a year-long redesign. This would be the first redesign since the days of IE7, meaning it is 10+ years ago. Read about designing for 4.5% of earth’s population.

First wave of Progressive Web Apps hits the Microsoft Store - Microsoft store now crawls for PWAs out there and indexes them directly into their store, making PWAs first grade citizens in an app store. I huge leap for PWA.

Send me a private message if you happen to stumble over something interesting this week.

Events

The following events are planned so far:

Government Computing 2018 19th April - We’ll be in London for this event.

Training

We provide professional training for developers, editors, and marketers. These training events are coming up, but more are available! Need custom training, or training on other dates, or other locations? Contact us!

Don’t forget to certify yourself as an XP developer!

See you next week!

1 Like