Snapshott in Enonic

I have been using “Snapshotter” app but not sure if its really going to help me in any crisis.

We have 20 sites on the same Enonic instances now and we take snapshots daily ( weekly and monthly). I know we can recover to the last known state with that, but here are a few problems I see with that.

• Can we just recover one site out of 20, which we find to have a problem?
  • Can we just recover one sub-folder/pages, if we want to?

I know there is a version history, which may help us in recovering the pages to last known good state. But the problem with that is, its non-recursive. I have to change all the folders one by one. (which is 100+ in number)

We have lately been facing some issues on our site where we had to revert the changes done by content owners, but it was a nightmare in doing that.

Seeking for any suggestion/help in this regard!

You could do the following if you just need a small piece of the data

• Run a backup of your complete instance (with snapshot data)
  • Restore everything on your local machine
  • Rollback to the snapshot just before you had problems.
  • Export the part of the tree that was affected (Content Studio right?) using Data Toolbox
  • Re-import the the exported data into your production server (but test this carefully on a QA environment first)
  • Publish the changes
2 Likes

“Run a backup of your complete instance (with snapshot data)”
How do we do that? any command? or are you talking about taking a dump ?

You could just copy your entire application data filesystem, like what you would do to restore the entire system on a new machine…

Hi Anand,

Tried the Data Toolbox app? It let’s you navigate the Content Studio content grid as normal and then export the whole site, or parts of it. You could use that to restore data. It also let’s you make snapshots and restore those. Ofc, you could also use the command line toolbox.

With an export you will get loads of xml-files representing your entire content structure. These files contain all content data in XP. You can search and replace inside these files to change permissions quickly. You could also write javascript and do the same thing live.

Hope that helps!

1 Like